My husband says that he doesn’t recognize most of what is in our pantry/fridge anymore. I’m not really sure what that means. Truly, there has been a bit of an evolution so to speak in our cabinets since I have starting running again last June but nothing so shocking that it could be life altering. In my food adventures the last year, I have learned A LOT about what good food really is and what raw food does to our bodies. It started with being horrified by Food Inc, where I threw away everything in our home, and gradually reformed to a more normal learning adventure: lots of reading, lots of looking at labels, lots of thought about what we put into our mouths. Every one in the food industry is looking for shock value with all these documentaries, I’m just looking for a better way to feed my family, especially my children. My snack cabinet was the very first thing to be reformed and little by little, it has been downsized. Anything in a box, really isn’t that good for you, there is a reason it can sit on the shelf for so long. I want my children to learn that fresh is better, for taste and for overall long-term health. I still want them to have treats, I don’t expect them to not be children, but if they want an oreo cookie, I’d rather make it for them myself.
My traditional brownies, are not so good for you, these are my attempt at brownie reform. They desperately needed a makeover. Or perhaps this would be called a “make-under.”
RAW VEGAN BROWNIES
1 cup pitted medjool dates
1 cup mixed raw walnuts & almonds
1/4 cup raw cocoa powder
2 ripe bananas
1/2 cup raw cocoa powder
4 tbsp raw almond butter
4 tbsp honey
- Mix together all bottom ingredients in a food processor until well blended.
- Spread bottom ingredients in a large glass baking pan until evenly distributed
- Mix together top ingredients in a food processor until well blended.
- Spread top blend over bottom layer base until evenly distributed.
- Place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- Cut into 16 squares, serve and enjoy!
- Re-freeze whatever you don’t eat and enjoy at a later date!