When I was younger, people would fight over these during the holidays. They are a coveted item on the table.
4 medium fresh artichokes
2 -3 cups Italian style breadcrumbs
2 -3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced fine
Extra olive oil for drizzling
1. Rinse artichokes well, tugging leaves outward to loosen slightly for stuffing.
2. Trim off stems so artichokes sit on a flat surface.
3. Trim off the pointed tips of each leaf and set aside
4. In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients listed above (minus the artichokes obviously & the extra olive oil for drizzling.
5. Mix well and until moistened enough to stick together.
6. Stuff each leaf of the artichoke, starting from the bottom and working your way around, with crumb mixture, until you get to the middle which we stuff A LOT.
7. Continue this step with remaining artichokes.
8. Place artichokes in a large baking pan and fill bottom of pan with 1/2 to 1 inch of water.
9. Drizzle olive oil over top of stuffed artichokes and cover tightly with heavy-duty foil.
10. Cook on 375 degrees for approximately 60-80 minutes (depending on size of artichoke) or until leave comes out easily.
11. Cool for 10 minutes; serve and Enjoy!